The Commissioners of Irish Lights
A Body That Spans a Border
The Commissioners of Irish Lights is a general lighthouse authority responsible for the safety of navigation around the coast of the entire island of Ireland — including both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom. This cross-border remit is unusual in the world of maritime administration, and it reflects a practical arrangement that predates partition and has continued uninterrupted since the nineteenth century. The Irish Sea, the Atlantic approaches to Connaught and Munster, and the North Channel between Ireland and Scotland are navigated by vessels of many nationalities, and the case for a single coherent system of lights and marks is strong regardless of the political boundary that divides the island on land.
The legal basis for Irish Lights rests on a series of nineteenth-century statutes and is maintained by an agreement between the governments of Ireland and the United Kingdom, with financial contributions from both. In practice, the authority operates with considerable independence, answering to neither government directly but to the board of Commissioners itself, whose composition is regulated by statute.
Origins and Early History
The origins of lighthouse administration in Ireland lie in the early eighteenth century, when the Irish Parliament created a body known as the Commissioners of Barracks, Navigation and Inland Navigation, which was given responsibility among other things for lights on the Irish coast. Effective lighthouse construction and management developed slowly: the Irish coast had relatively few high-quality lights before the establishment of a properly funded authority.
The Corporation for Preserving and Improving the Port of Dublin — commonly known as the Ballast Board — was for a period the principal body managing certain Irish lights, particularly those on the east coast and in Dublin Bay. The Kish lightvessel and the Poolbeg lighthouse at the end of the South Wall of Dublin Harbour were under its jurisdiction. In 1810, the responsibility for Irish lighthouses was reorganised and placed on a footing broadly comparable to that of the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses in Scotland and Trinity House in England. The body that emerged, eventually named the Commissioners of Irish Lights, was constituted with powers to build, maintain and improve lighthouses, buoys and beacons around the whole island.
George Halpin Senior and the Construction Programme
The single figure most responsible for the physical fabric of the Irish lighthouse system is George Halpin Senior, who served as Inspector of Works and Lighthouses for Irish Lights from 1810 until his death in 1854. During his long tenure, Halpin designed or supervised the construction of more than 40 lighthouses around the Irish coast, transforming a system that had been patchy and sometimes dangerously inadequate into one of the most comprehensive in the British Isles.
Halpin's lighthouses range from major towers on exposed headlands to modest harbour lights on the quieter east coast. Hook Head lighthouse in County Wexford, which Halpin restored and modernised in the 1810s, is one of the oldest lighthouse structures in the world — its tower dates to the twelfth century, though the original medieval structure was significantly altered. The Fastnet lighthouse, standing on a rock twelve miles southwest of Cape Clear in County Cork, was originally constructed under Halpin's direction in 1854, though the current granite tower was rebuilt between 1899 and 1904 to a design by William Douglas to withstand the extraordinary wave forces that had damaged the earlier structure.
His son, George Halpin Junior, continued the work after 1854 and is credited with the design of several further lighthouses including the Wicklow Head tower and various improvements to the coast of Connaught.
The Fastnet: Ireland's Teardrop
The Fastnet Rock occupies a special place in Irish maritime consciousness. It is the last piece of Irish land visible to emigrants leaving from the southern ports, and in more than a century of offshore yacht racing it has become the most famous turning mark in the world — the Fastnet Race, run from Cowes to Fastnet and back, is one of the toughest offshore sailing events on the calendar.
The current lighthouse, completed in 1904, stands 54 metres tall on a granite rock that is barely large enough to stand on at low water. The tower was designed to be monolithic — the granite blocks dovetailed and locked so that the entire structure acts as a single rigid body rather than a stack of stones. Its light, character Fl(4) 20s with a range of 27 nautical miles, has guided transatlantic shipping since its first illumination. The Commissioners of Irish Lights automated the Fastnet in 1989, removing the last resident keepers from a station that had been continuously occupied since 1854.
Rathlin O'Birne and the Western Approaches
On the northwest coast, where the Atlantic breaks against the cliffs of Donegal and Sligo, the Commissioners maintain a series of lights marking some of the most dangerous approaches in Irish waters. Rathlin O'Birne, an island lighthouse off the Donegal coast near Malin Beg, marks the outer edge of the reef systems that extend south from Malin Head. Completed in 1856, it was one of George Halpin Junior's constructions and has been automated since 1995. Its white tower, 35 metres tall, shows a character of two flashes every twenty seconds, visible for 18 nautical miles.
Eagle Island, off the Erris Head peninsula in County Mayo, is one of the most storm-battered stations in the Irish system. The lighthouse stands at the summit of the island — high enough, in principle, to be above the worst wave action — but records show that waves have struck and damaged the lantern room in exceptional conditions. The station was automated in 1988.
Rathlin Island and the North Channel
Rathlin Island, lying off the north Antrim coast in Northern Ireland, contains three lighthouses maintained by Irish Lights. The East Lighthouse on the island's eastern point dates from 1856 and was for many years an important landfall light for vessels entering the North Channel from the Atlantic. The West Lighthouse, on the western cliffs, is notable for being an inverted lighthouse — the lantern room is at the base of a tower built into the cliffs rather than at its summit, because the summit would often be in cloud while the base remained visible from seaward. The arrangement, unique in Ireland, gives the light a focal plane some 70 metres above sea level despite the tower itself descending rather than ascending.
Buoys and Modern Aids to Navigation
The Commissioners of Irish Lights are responsible not only for lighthouses but for the buoyage system around the Irish coast, including light floats, lateral and cardinal buoys, and the wreck marks that are deployed when vessels sink in navigable waters. This system is maintained by two tender vessels operated by the authority: the ILV Granuaile, named after the sixteenth-century pirate queen Grace O'Malley, and the ILV Setanta. The tenders carry out buoy maintenance, light station resupply and the periodic inspection of all aids to navigation around the coast.
The buoyage around Ireland follows the IALA Region A system, which uses red to mark the port hand side when entering harbour — the standard used throughout Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia, as distinct from the IALA Region B system used in the Americas. The implementation of consistent IALA buoyage across Irish waters in the 1970s and 1980s was a significant safety improvement, replacing a variety of local practices with a single internationally recognised standard.
Automation and the Keeper's Legacy
The last manned lighthouses in the Irish Lights network were automated in the 1990s. The Commissioners carried out a systematic automation programme through the 1980s, funding it partly from the light dues levied on commercial shipping using Irish ports — a system of charges levied by the three general lighthouse authorities (Irish Lights, Trinity House, and the Northern Lighthouse Board) under an arrangement known as the General Lighthouse Fund.
The automation of the Fastnet in 1989 and the Mizen Head fog signal station in 1993 — Mizen Head is not technically a lighthouse but an important signal station — marked the end of resident keepers in the southwest. The final station in the Republic of Ireland to be automated was Black Head, County Clare, in 1996. Several keepers' cottages have since been converted to holiday accommodation, allowing visitors to stay in the buildings that housed generations of lighthouse families.
Open the map to explore the full network of Irish Lights stations around the coast of Ireland, from Malin Head in the north to Mizen Head in the south.
A Continuing Authority
The Commissioners of Irish Lights remain an active authority in the second quarter of the twenty-first century, maintaining more than 60 staffed or automated lighthouses, over 150 buoys and an extensive network of fog signals and AIS transmitters. Their work is less visible than it once was — there are no keepers to relieve, no oil to deliver — but the lights they maintain continue to flash every night on every significant headland and hazard around the Irish coast, as they have done without interruption since the early nineteenth century.