The History of Lighthouses
Fire on the Shore
The first navigational light was almost certainly accidental. A fire on a headland, lit for warmth or for a signal to those ashore, served equally well as a guide to boats approaching in the dark. The step from accidental to deliberate was small, and there is evidence from the ancient world that coast fires for the guidance of shipping were in use well before any structure purpose-built to support them. The Phoenicians maintained beacon fires on prominent points along their trading routes in the eastern Mediterranean by the first millennium BCE. The Greeks did the same.
What these fires lacked was permanence, elevation, and the institutional framework to ensure they were kept burning night after night, through foul weather and when the keeper was sick or distracted. The transition from the maintained bonfire to the purpose-built lighthouse required, above all, an authority capable of commissioning and sustaining the structure over years and decades. That authority appeared, in its most impressive early form, in the Egypt of the Ptolemaic dynasty.
The Pharos of Alexandria
The lighthouse at Alexandria, built on the island of Pharos at the mouth of the great harbour, was completed around 280 BCE under Ptolemy II. Contemporary accounts suggest it stood between 100 and 140 metres tall — taller than any lighthouse built before the twentieth century — in three diminishing stages: a square lower section, an octagonal middle, and a cylindrical top carrying the fire. The flame was reflected by polished metal mirrors to increase its range, which ancient sources put at 50 kilometres or more, a figure probably exaggerated but indicative of a very powerful light by ancient standards.
The Pharos stood for something like 1,500 years before being severely damaged by earthquakes in 956 CE and 1303 CE. The last substantial remnants were incorporated into the Mamluk fort of Qaitbay, built on the same site in 1480. Its influence, however, was not architectural but linguistic: 'pharos' became the generic word for lighthouse in French (phare), Italian (faro), Spanish (faro) and Portuguese (farol), a linguistic legacy of the ancient world's most famous structure.
Rome and the Tower of Hercules
The Romans built lighthouses extensively throughout their empire, particularly from the first century CE. The lighthouse at Dover, of which one substantial Roman tower survives inside the walls of Dover Castle, was probably built in the late first or early second century CE and stood perhaps 24 metres tall. Its opposite number at Boulogne-sur-Mer (the Tour d'Ordre) guided ships on the Channel crossing for over a thousand years before collapsing in 1644.
The Tower of Hercules at A Coruña in Spain was built during the Roman period, probably in the first or second century CE, and — uniquely — is still a working lighthouse. The Roman core of the tower, rediscovered during an eighteenth-century restoration, establishes it as the world's oldest operational lighthouse. The present tower, rebuilt on the Roman foundations by Eustaquio Giannini between 1788 and 1791 and rising to 68 metres, exhibits an occulting white light visible for 23 nautical miles.
The Roman lighthouse tradition did not survive the collapse of the western Empire with any institutional continuity. The towers fell into disuse, were stripped for building material, or decayed. The knowledge that had produced them was not lost — the technology of fire and reflection is straightforward — but the administrative will to maintain coast lights as a systematic service disappeared for centuries.
The Medieval Period: Monks, Merchants and the First Organisations
Throughout the medieval period, coast lights were maintained sporadically by religious houses — partly from piety, partly from the income that local mariners and merchants provided in exchange for the service. The light on the island of Cordouan at the mouth of the Gironde was maintained by a hermit from at least the tenth century, later replaced by a chapel under the authority of the Prince of Aquitaine. The promontory of St Catherine's on the Isle of Wight had an oratory and lighthouse maintained by a chantry from the fourteenth century.
The critical institutional development in England came with the incorporation of Trinity House in 1514 under Henry VIII. The original guild of pilots and masters was granted increasing authority over the English coast through subsequent charters, eventually acquiring responsibility for building, maintaining and managing lighthouses on the coast of England and Wales. Similar bodies appeared elsewhere: the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses were established for Scotland in 1786, and the Commissioners of Irish Lights (originally the Corporation for Preserving and Improving the Port of Dublin) from the seventeenth century.
These organisations gave lighthouse management a permanence it had always lacked. A light maintained by a single keeper who relied on voluntary contributions might go dark when the keeper died or fell sick. A light managed by a statutory corporation with the power to levy dues on passing shipping would, at least in principle, be maintained in perpetuity.
The Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries: Private Lights and Public Need
Between the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the full establishment of the statutory lighthouse bodies, many English lights were operated by private patentees who obtained licences from the Crown and charged passing ships. The system was corrupt, inefficient and frequently dangerous: patentees had no incentive to improve lights they could not afford to replace, and the revenue from shipping dues went largely into private pockets. Trinity House spent much of the eighteenth century buying out private interests at considerable public expense.
Meanwhile, the technology of the lights themselves was slowly improving. The simple open coal fire on an elevated grate — still in use at South Foreland in Kent until 1843 — was being supplemented and then replaced by oil-lamp systems. The Argand burner, introduced in the 1780s, used a cylindrical wick and a glass chimney to produce a flame of far greater intensity than anything previously available for lighthouse use. Combined with parabolic metal reflectors, the Argand lamp produced the catoptric system that equipped most serious lighthouses by 1800.
The Nineteenth Century: Engineering and Optics
The nineteenth century brought two transformations. The first was structural: the demonstration by John Smeaton at the Eddystone (1759) that a masonry tower could survive exposed offshore conditions laid the groundwork for the offshore rock stations that dominated lighthouse construction for the next century. Smeaton was followed by Robert Stevenson at Bell Rock (1811), by Alan Stevenson at Skerryvore (1844), and eventually by James Douglas at Bishop Rock (rebuilt 1887) and the second Eddystone (1882).
The second transformation was optical. Augustin Fresnel's annular stepped lens, first installed at Cordouan in 1823, increased the effective range of a lighthouse by collecting and directing most of the lamp's output into a concentrated horizontal beam. By mid-century, Fresnel lenses were standard equipment on major lighthouse installations worldwide. The combination of powerful oil lamps and Fresnel optics produced lights with ranges of 25 to 30 nautical miles — comparable to, and in some cases superior to, modern LED-equipped towers.
The fuel itself evolved: sperm whale oil gave way to colza (rapeseed) oil, then to mineral oil, then to petroleum vapour systems that burned with a brilliant incandescence. Gas lighting was tried at several British stations from the 1860s. Electric arc lighting, first used at South Foreland in 1858, produced the most intense sources of all, though the complexity of the generating equipment made it initially impractical for remote stations.
The Twentieth Century: Electricity and Automation
By 1900, electric lighting was established at the most accessible lighthouse stations. By 1950, it was nearly universal in the developed world. Electricity eliminated the daily lamp-trimming that had defined the keeper's working life and gave the lighthouse authorities much greater control over light intensity and reliability. Automatic lamp changers — mechanisms that rotate a fresh bulb into position if the primary lamp fails — removed the last major justification for a resident keeper at stations where the light itself was the only concern.
Automation proceeded at different paces in different countries. The United States Coast Guard began a systematic automation programme in the 1950s and 1960s. In Britain, Trinity House completed its programme in 1998 with the automation of North Foreland. The Northern Lighthouse Board finished the same year, with the Flannan Isles and other remote Scottish stations. Today, virtually every lighthouse in the world is automated, monitored remotely, and operates without resident staff.
A Living System
The history of lighthouses is not quite over. New lights are still commissioned where new hazards are identified or where development creates new traffic. Old lights are retired when the hazard they marked is removed or when alternative navigation systems make them redundant. Open the map to see the global distribution of lighthouse stations as they stand today — from the ancient Tower of Hercules to lights commissioned in the twenty-first century, the network that guides ships into harbour is still, in most respects, the one that centuries of lighthouse builders laboured to create.