← Back to blog

The Engineers of Light

A Specific Problem, a Specific Skill

Building a lighthouse is a different problem from building a bridge or a railway viaduct. The structure must withstand not merely the static load of its own weight but the dynamic, unpredictable impact of waves that can exert pressures of 3 tonnes per square metre or more against a vertical masonry face. It must be built on a site that is accessible for only a portion of each tidal cycle, or not at all except in the calmest weather. It must be staffed and supplied after construction, sometimes in conditions where the nearest alternative anchorage is miles away. And it must stand for centuries without substantial maintenance, because access for major repair work may be possible only at long intervals.

The men who solved these problems — and they were, until the late twentieth century, almost without exception men — constitute a lineage of engineering ingenuity stretching from the mid-eighteenth century to the present. Their names are less familiar than those of their contemporaries who built railways and canals, but the structures they left behind are in some respects the most demanding architectural achievements of the industrial age.

John Smeaton and the Third Eddystone

The Eddystone rocks, 14 miles south-southwest of Plymouth in the English Channel, are a cluster of submerged reefs that sit directly in the path of vessels approaching the port. Two earlier lighthouses had been built on the reef before 1756 — the first destroyed by the Great Storm of 1703, the second burned down in 1755 — when the Eddystone Lighthouse proprietors engaged John Smeaton, a civil engineer of growing reputation, to attempt a third.

Smeaton's solution was revolutionary. He abandoned the timber construction of his predecessors and designed a tower of interlocking granite blocks, the base shaped like a broad cone to reduce wave impact, each block cut with dovetail joints that locked the courses together both vertically and horizontally. He studied the form of a tree trunk — wide at the base, tapering upward, flexible enough to yield slightly to wind pressure rather than shattering — and applied those principles to masonry. The resulting tower, 22 metres tall, was completed in 1759 and lit on 16 October of that year. It stood without major damage for 120 years, when it was removed not because it had failed but because the rock on which it stood was undermining.

Smeaton's tower was re-erected on Plymouth Hoe, where it still stands. The techniques he developed — interlocking courses, a curved base profile, and the systematic use of hydraulic lime mortar (which he was instrumental in improving) — became the template for every major rock lighthouse built in the following century.

The Stevenson Dynasty

The Stevenson family of Edinburgh dominated Scottish lighthouse engineering for a century. Robert Stevenson, born in 1772, was appointed Engineer to the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses in 1799 and held that position for 35 years. His masterwork was the Bell Rock lighthouse, completed in 1811 on a reef that is submerged at high water for all but the calmest spring tides. Building the Bell Rock required the construction of temporary housing barracks on a wooden platform above the reef, the cutting of foundation stones in a quarry on the Firth of Forth and their transport by ship to the site, and the organisation of a workforce that could only land on the reef for two to four hours per tidal cycle.

The Bell Rock tower stands 35 metres tall, built of Arbroath sandstone and Cornish granite in interlocking courses following Smeaton's method. It has stood for more than two centuries without significant structural repair — a testament to the quality of both the design and the construction. Robert Stevenson's three sons — Alan, David and Thomas — each served in succession as Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board. Alan designed Skerryvore, completed in 1844 on a reef 12 miles southwest of Tiree in the Inner Hebrides, which many engineers consider the most beautiful and structurally perfect lighthouse ever built. Its granite tower, 48 metres tall, sits on a base 12 metres in diameter and tapers to 5 metres at the parapet — a profile refined by Alan Stevenson over two years of study.

Thomas Stevenson, the youngest son, never built a wave-swept tower but made important contributions to lighthouse optics and is better known today as the father of Robert Louis Stevenson, who grew up in a household where lighthouse engineering was the family trade.

James Douglass and Bishop Rock

Sir James Nicholas Douglass served as Engineer-in-Chief to Trinity House from 1863 to 1892, a period that saw the completion of some of the most ambitious lighthouse construction projects ever attempted. His first major commission was Bishop Rock, the isolated pinnacle of rock at the extreme western tip of the Scilly Isles, where a screw-pile lighthouse erected in 1849 had been destroyed by the sea before it could be completed and where a solid granite tower built in 1858 was judged inadequate. Douglass redesigned and rebuilt Bishop Rock between 1882 and 1887, encasing the existing tower in a new shell of granite that broadened the base to 16 metres and raised the tower to 49 metres. The rebuilt lighthouse has withstood every Atlantic storm for more than 135 years.

His second great work was the replacement Eddystone lighthouse, completed in 1882. The wave action around the original Smeaton tower had not endangered the tower itself but had undermined the reef on which it stood; Douglass built a new tower on a different part of the reef, 49 metres tall, using the same interlocking granite technique but at a larger scale and with the benefit of improved lifting equipment and a compressed-air derrick that allowed precise placement of blocks weighing several tonnes. Douglass was knighted in 1882 for this work.

George Halpin and the Irish System

In Ireland, the equivalent figure to Robert Stevenson was George Halpin Senior, who as Inspector of Works and Lighthouses to the Commissioners of Irish Lights from 1810 to 1854 designed or supervised more than forty lighthouses around the Irish coast. Halpin worked in a somewhat different tradition from the Scottish engineers: his sites were generally less extreme than the wave-swept rocks of the Outer Hebrides, and his towers are more varied in style — some classical, some utilitarian, some modest whitewashed cylinders. The Old Head of Kinsale lighthouse, rebuilt by Halpin in 1853 on a dramatic peninsula on the Cork coast, is one of his more architecturally ambitious works.

His son George Halpin Junior continued the family's association with Irish Lights after his father's death and is credited with the design of several further towers, including Wicklow Head (1781, considerably modified by the junior Halpin) and improvements to the west coast network.

William Douglass and the Fastnet

William Douglass — brother of James Douglass — carried out some of the most demanding work on Irish stations, including the complete rebuilding of the Fastnet lighthouse between 1899 and 1904. The original Fastnet tower, built under George Halpin Senior in 1854, was a cast-iron structure that had been repeatedly damaged by Atlantic wave forces. William Douglass designed a new granite tower 54 metres tall, modelled on his brother's Eddystone tower, with interlocking granite courses and a base diameter of 15.9 metres. The construction required the quarrying of Cornish granite, its transport to the site by ship, and the lifting of individual blocks weighing up to 3 tonnes in often marginal conditions. The tower was completed with the loss of no lives — a rare achievement in offshore construction of this period.

D'Arcy Lever and the Twentieth Century

The wave of lighthouse construction that peaked in the mid-nineteenth century was largely complete by 1900. The engineering challenges of the twentieth century were primarily those of improvement, automation and renovation rather than original construction. The names are less celebrated precisely because the work was less spectacular: converting a kerosene light to electric, designing remote monitoring systems, engineering the conversion from clockwork to electric drive.

The contribution of engineers such as Alan Stevenson in the field of optics — his detailed specifications for the construction and installation of dioptric apparatus influenced lens makers for decades — represents an equally important tradition: the lighthouse engineer as optical scientist. The integration of physical engineering with precision optics and illumination technology is what made the nineteenth-century lighthouse system so effective, and it was the product of men who combined practical building skills with a command of the physical science of light.

Open the map to visit the towers these engineers built — many of them still active, some open to the public, all of them testaments to technical mastery earned in the most demanding possible conditions.

A Lineage of Problem-Solvers

What unites Smeaton, the Stevensons, the Douglass brothers and Halpin is not a single method but a shared willingness to engage with problems that had no precedent. The wave-swept rock tower had never been built successfully before Smeaton attempted Eddystone. The tidal rock lighthouse had never been built on a fully submerged reef before Robert Stevenson attempted Bell Rock. Each advance built on the last, the failures absorbed and the successes refined. The lighthouse towers that remain from this era are not merely functional structures; they are the physical record of an engineering tradition that pushed masonry and ironwork to their limits in the service of navigation.