The US Lighthouse Service and Coast Guard
The First Statute
When the first Congress of the United States assembled in 1789, among its early acts was a law transferring responsibility for twelve lighthouses then in existence on the Atlantic seaboard — structures built by the colonial governments of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Virginia, and others — to the federal government. The act of August 7, 1789 created, in effect, the first federal public works programme of the new republic. The Secretary of the Treasury was given charge of the lights, and the keeper of the public accounts became, by implication, the keeper of the lights as well. This arrangement placed lighthouse administration in the hands of Treasury officials with no particular expertise in navigation, engineering, or maritime matters, and for the next sixty years the results showed it.
The collector of customs at each port served as the local superintendent of lighthouses, responsible for hiring keepers, procuring supplies, and arranging maintenance. Keepers were political appointments and turned over with administrations. The Treasury's auditors valued economy above performance, and the lamps — many of them still burning whale oil and fitted with the old Lewis reflector system, a crude approximation of the Argand lamp and parabolic reflector — were poorly maintained, underpowered, and often reported by ship captains as dim or entirely invisible in bad weather. The French and British lighthouse services had already adopted the Fresnel lens in the 1820s and 1830s; the American system resisted the superior technology for decades, partly because a contractor named Winslow Lewis held a long-term supply agreement with the Treasury and resisted any change that would undercut his business.
The Lighthouse Board and the Reform Era
The failure became undeniable in the late 1840s, and Congress commissioned a review. The resulting 1851 report was damning: American lights were inferior to European standards in almost every measurable respect. The solution Congress adopted was structural. In 1852 it created the Lighthouse Board, a body of naval officers, army engineers, and scientific civilians that brought genuine expertise to the management of the country's navigational aids for the first time.
The Board moved immediately and decisively. It reorganised the American coast into twelve lighthouse districts, each with a naval inspector responsible for maintenance and a Corps of Engineers officer responsible for construction. It introduced Fresnel lenses to every significant lighthouse on the coast, beginning with the largest first-order lights and working down through the orders. It established lighthouse tenders — purpose-built vessels for supplying and maintaining remote stations — and it set uniform standards for the training, duties, and pay of lighthouse keepers, who were now appointed on merit rather than political patronage. The result was a rapid improvement in the quality of American aids to navigation that ship captains noticed almost immediately.
The Board era, from 1852 to 1910, was the great building period of American lighthouse history. The Corps of Engineers oversaw the construction of hundreds of new towers along the rapidly expanding American coast: from the Great Lakes, where the growth of iron-ore and grain traffic demanded lights on headlands that had been wilderness a generation before, to the Pacific coast, opened by the Gold Rush of 1849 and requiring an entire new system of lights from the Columbia River to San Diego. The distinctive American lighthouse types of this era — the cast-iron tower, the screwpile light for shallow bays and sounds, the caisson foundation tower for offshore shoals, and the spark-plug design for exposed approach channels — were all developed under Board supervision.
Engineering the Difficult Stations
Many American lighthouses of the Board era required extraordinary engineering. The Stannard Rock lighthouse, completed in 1883 on a reef in Lake Superior 24 miles off the Keweenaw Peninsula — the most remote lighthouse on the Great Lakes — stands on a concrete and stone pier raised on a submerged reef in some of the most violent freshwater storms in North America. Its masonry tower rises 33 metres above the lake surface and originally showed a fourth-order Fresnel lens visible for 18 nautical miles. The station was so isolated that keepers served rotations of several months without relief, supplied by tender when weather permitted. It was automated in 1962 and is now monitored remotely.
The Spectacle Reef lighthouse in northern Lake Huron, completed in 1874 on a shoal of limestone that barely broke the surface, was described by the Lighthouse Board's own reports as one of the most difficult construction projects in the history of the service. The masonry tower, 34 metres tall, was constructed from massive interlocking limestone blocks shaped and pre-fitted on shore at a work camp on Bois Blanc Island, then transported to the reef by tender and raised in the limited working windows between Lake Huron's ice seasons. The same engineering logic — land-based prefabrication followed by rapid assembly on the exposed site — had been used by Smeaton at Eddystone and by Stevenson at Bell Rock, and the American engineers were well aware of those precedents.
The Bureau of Lighthouses
In 1910, Congress replaced the Lighthouse Board with the Bureau of Lighthouses, a civilian agency under the Department of Commerce. The change reflected a progressive-era preference for civilian administration over the semi-military character of the Board, and it brought George Putnam to the position of Commissioner of Lighthouses, a post he held for twenty-five years. Putnam was an efficient administrator who continued the electrification of lighthouse lamps begun under the Board, oversaw the introduction of radiobeacons as a supplemental navigational aid, and managed the transition from resident keepers to automated operation for an increasing number of stations.
The Bureau also inherited the problem of what to do with the growing stock of lighthouses that technology had rendered redundant. As harbour approaches were better marked with buoys and minor lights, large staffed stations that had once served as the primary aid to a port became secondary or tertiary lights, difficult to justify maintaining at full staff. The Bureau began automating and destaffing some of these stations in the 1920s, a process that would accelerate enormously in the following decades.
Transfer to the Coast Guard
On 1 July 1939, President Franklin Roosevelt transferred the Bureau of Lighthouses to the United States Coast Guard by executive reorganisation. The Coast Guard had been created in 1915 by the merger of the Revenue Cutter Service and the Life-Saving Service, and it already managed buoys and other floating aids to navigation. Adding lighthouses completed a logical consolidation of all American navigational aids under a single service.
The transfer was not universally welcomed by lighthouse keepers, who had been civilian employees of the Bureau and now faced the prospect of military organisation and discipline. Those who chose to remain were eventually required to join the Coast Guard or accept civilian status within it. The Second World War interrupted the transition: Coast Guard personnel operated lighthouses across all theatres, and several lighthouse stations were fortified or used as observation posts against submarine activity. German U-boats operated in American coastal waters in 1942 with devastating effect, sinking vessels silhouetted against the lights of coastal cities, and several lighthouses on the Atlantic seaboard were temporarily extinguished or reduced in power to deny the enemy this advantage.
Automation and Disposal
The postwar years brought a sustained campaign of lighthouse automation. Advances in sealed-beam electric lamps, reliable automatic fog signal equipment, and eventually remote monitoring systems made resident keepers unnecessary at an increasing number of stations. The Coast Guard's LAMP (Lighthouse Automation and Modernisation Program), running through the 1970s and 1980s, systematically converted the remaining staffed lighthouses to automated operation. The last lighthouse in the continental United States to be staffed by a resident keeper was Boston Light on Little Brewster Island in Boston Harbor, which retained a Coast Guard keeper by specific Congressional mandate; a Coast Guard officer still serves there as the official keeper, making it the only staffed lighthouse in the country.
With automation came the disposal question. Hundreds of lighthouse properties — the towers, keepers' dwellings, outbuildings, and grounds — were declared surplus to operational requirements. The National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000 created a framework for transferring these properties to local governments, non-profit organisations, and private individuals willing to maintain them as historic sites. The result has been a mixed record: some lighthouses have been superbly preserved and opened as museums or heritage sites, while others have deteriorated in the hands of owners who could not sustain the cost of maintenance. The National Park Service manages a number of significant lighthouse sites, including Cape Hatteras, Cape Lookout, and the lighthouses of Assateague Island.
The Living System
The United States today maintains approximately 400 active lighthouses, supplemented by thousands of lighted buoys, minor lights, and day beacons. The Coast Guard's Aids to Navigation program manages this infrastructure, regularly inspecting and relamping active towers, updating light characteristics where necessary, and maintaining the database published in the Light List, the American equivalent of the Admiralty List of Lights. New LED technology has extended lamp life dramatically and reduced maintenance costs: a modern LED unit in a sealed lantern housing may run for years between service visits.
The great nineteenth-century towers — Cape Hatteras, Portland Head, Boston Light, Heceta Head, Pigeon Point, Split Rock — remain active navigational aids while simultaneously serving as the most visited historic sites on the American coast. Their light characteristics, often unchanged since they were first specified by the Lighthouse Board in the 1850s or 1870s, are encoded in GPS chart plotters used by recreational boaters who may never have looked at a printed Light List in their lives. The lighthouse system is older than the federal highway system, older than the National Park Service, older than almost any other piece of federal infrastructure — and it still works.
For an interactive view of active and historic American lighthouses and navigational lights, open the map.
Keepers and Their World
The 25,000 or so men and women who served as lighthouse keepers under the various federal agencies between 1789 and the completion of automation represent a largely forgotten category of public servant. Their duties were precise and unforgiving: the light had to be lit at sunset and extinguished at sunrise, the lens cleaned, the lamp trimmed, the fog signal operated in poor visibility, the log book maintained, and the station kept in the condition that inspectors expected. At isolated offshore stations, keepers were on duty around the clock with no relief for months at a time. At staffed rock stations like Stannard Rock, they lived in conditions of confinement comparable to a small ship, dependent on the lighthouse tender for fresh provisions and mail.
The service asked for reliability above all other qualities, and for the most part it got it. The record of American lighthouses for continuous operation through storms, ice, and equipment failure is extraordinary: there are documented cases of keepers maintaining their lights through hurricane landings, through the death of a spouse or child on the station, through equipment failures that required improvisation to keep the light burning by any available means. Their logs — tens of thousands of daily entries in the National Archives — constitute one of the most complete records of American coastal weather and maritime activity in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.